Thursday, July 18, 2013

The First Week

Only a week has passed and I have absolutely fallen in love with my two little hermit crabs. They are just the most interesting pet that I've ever owned. There is a lot of work involved - setting up the tank, changing the water/food bowls almost daily, keeping the temperature and humidity in check, making sure the crabs are alright throughout the day, and keeping another and smaller tank cleaned and correct in case one of the critters needs to go into isolation - and a lot of money as well in the beginning - for the tank, substrate, decor, climbing accessories, heaters, gauges, food, shells and the crabs themselves - but they are definitely worth every penny spent, and again, they really are intriguing pets.

Compared to a dog or a cat, hermit crabs are more extensive with work and can be a slight challenge to care for if you don't do your research, but they are equally enjoyable. Each of my crabs have their own personalities. Lily is quite the shy one - she comes out of her shell a lot quicker now, but she still gets spooked easily and isn't as rambunctious. On the other hand, Kermit is very outgoing and doesn't get frightened as easily. He also gets himself into trouble, weird as that might sound. He tends to climb everything and anything in sight, and then proceeds to get stuck and usually falls. Of course he's always okay, but it worries me nonetheless. He's a little dummy sometimes. Also, the two have specific places they claim to sleep at during the daylight hours. Lily normally sleeps in the coconut hut I have, and Kermit is usually beneath the moss pits. It's funny how they really are individuals of their own, but it's what makes them so spectacular. They also like certain foods more than others... and thus far I have found that they truly love coconut, mangoes, and sunflower seeds (all food items have been organic/unsweetened/unsalted/etc.).

Now onto other matters concerning my two little crustaceans.

During their first week I have changed up their tank - both with necessary changes and decorative ones. I have added more play sand substrate, and have upgraded their tank with a moss pit, vines, and a climbing branch. The vines need to be moved, and I am actually beginning to work on that issue today. I will post an update whenever that is finished. I'll also be adding a climbing net, isopods (potato bugs), and bark from my near by woods into the tank in the next week or two.

Below are just some pictures of the newly improved tank:















































Oh, before I forget - I will be trying to post at least every week with updates on my crabs and other information concerning hermit crab care and questions.

~Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment