Saturday, July 27, 2013

The New Tank Upgrades

Two weeks has passed since I got my crabs on July 10th and already a lot of things have changed. I have upgraded their tank - not by size, but by levels and interior decor. I have added another level to the tank by wrapping a locker shelf with burlap fabric from Walmart, which was only $2.09 for the one yard. I also bought vines and other climbing accessories as well as more shells. I have also added another type of substrate to the sand, which is called Eco Earth and you can buy them in packs of three bricks. You drop the bricks into a few gallons of dechlorinated water and they expand.  It is a dirt like substance and it gave my tank another few inches of digging room and I believe that both Lily and Kermit really like it. They both have dug down since I changed the substrate mix and I haven't seen them for two days. I assume they are beginning molt.

In other news, they both have also changed shells! They are both in turbo shells - Lily is in a peach colored one and Kermit is in a green turbo. Lily did change between many shells, but I think she's finally settled into the current one she's in.

Kermit
 Lily



The new tank upgrades









The only issue I am having now is that the humidity is not remaining constant in the tank. It has been colder here so my room is cooler, which now causes me to use the heat lamp. However, the heat lamp sucks out the humidity in the tank. I will definitely figure out something - my mom suggested getting some real plants so I may do that. I will also be buying some fish net to make a climbing net to get to the second level of the tank. It will look nice in the end when everything is figured out.

That is all for this week - thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment